Saturday, October 6, 2007

Into a Death Trap

No, this time I am not referring to my students.
I made the mistake of going to Walmart on a Saturday at 11am. (I'm pretty sure that this means I have officially lost my mind... and right around midterms, not a moment too soon.)

I was adrift in a sea of cart wielding, blue-haired grannies aimlessly wandering through the health and beauty aisles. I was almost hit twice while trying to find the best mascara under $8. I guess it is my fault though, I didn't realize how close I was to the tubs of cold cream and industrial-sized bags of cotton balls. It puzzles me that Walmart can pass on the savings so you can buy a Coke for 25 cents or a gallon of bleach for a dollar, but you can't find mascara that won't flake into your contacts when you're driving for under 5 bucks.

Having found a flake free mascara for only $6, I'll spend the rest of my day grading essays, figuring out how to explain APA format to freshmen without killing myself, and contemplating just what makes me a valuable addition to x PhD program.

No comments: