Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Productivity


New research has shown that a messy desk is actually a sign of a more productive person. I don't know whether this photo reveals my immense level of productivity or my inability to keep a clean house. There is also the chance that it merely reveals a level of craziness that cannot be paralleled outside academia.

But, somehow I couldn't capture the whole mess as it exends onto the floor, the chair next to me, and the living room. I think the only saving grace is that my "desk" is also my dining room table.

Please note that the bottles of wine are full and in a really beautiful wine rack, which is not visisble because of the piles of papers. I've not resorted to leaving empty wine bottles in the midst of my research, yet.

3 comments:

auto ethnographer said...

That's pretty impressive. I know I'm convinced you're making progress. Good for you; can't say the same for myself. Don't lose that momentum!

mgm said...

I find that I work much better when there are empty wine bottles on my desk.

Do you think that's a problem?

participant-observer said...

a picture of the desk my husband and i share would reveal empty beer cans, empty bottles, and wine glasses at various stages of crustiness. a feat we are simultaneously proud and ashamed of...