Monday, August 13, 2007

Trajectory

What follows is the basic trajectory of my thesis writing experience:
1. Prospectus approved-Excitement. I am good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me.
2. Research begins- I'm in there; I'm doing it. I am on the way to being a scholar.
3. Reality check- Overwhelmed... What am I going to write about? It is here I realize I have no intellectual abilities or original scholarship worth contributing to the field.
4. What life will be like- I could end up being a file clerk or a Starbucks barista for the rest of my life...I did go to a Liberal Arts college and get a degree in Anthropology. That's really just one small step above Art History. Cry. Cry. Cry.
5. They make what?- Apathy; I realize a warehouse manager makes more than I will make post-graduation.
6. Write it out- I finally wrote more than two pages in one sitting...excitement ensues.
7. Realization- I really can turn my prospectus into chapters one and two... EXUBERANCE!
8. Wait a tick- Maybe my research isn't really enough.
9. Stagnation- Repeat steps 3 and 4 over and over and over. Gain weight from emotionally eating.
10. Time keeps on slippin'- Shit, my deadline is only three weeks away...desperation/motivation?
11. Blog Creation- Because it's more fun than an actual thesis.

No comments: